Thursday, October 9, 2008

"Matter in a Bag"

Today we were able to see the state of matter change from a liquid into a solid. We did this by making ice cream. First, the children measured the milk, vanilla, and sugar into their baggie. Then, they put their baggie into a bigger bag filled with ice and rock salt.Next, it was shake, shake, shake senora! Last, we get to eat!

Below all the pictures are a few examples of the activity we did when we got back into the classroom.
I had the children do a RAFT. R- role, A-audience, F-format, and T- topic. They pretended they were milk and wrote a letter to a cow explaining what had happened to them during our activity. They were adorable.












Dear cow,
When I was poured into a bag it was this afternoon. I was surprised! Someone turned me into ice cream! First sugar got poured in me. Then vanilla got poured in me. The schoolyard looked alot bigger than anyplace that I have been! You know why that happened to me because some kid wanted ice cream! Then I had to go in ia bag with ice! I froze because I was a solid. Then I got shook so hard that I turned into ice cream. Then I got eaten!! Then I was gone.
From,
Milk (Jack L.)
Dear Cow,
Today at school the children rudely changed me from a liquid to a solid. I made a lot of new friends. For example: rock salt, vanilla extract, ice, and sugar. I had one foe. His name was "plastic baggie." He was so mean! He kept me from seeing my friends ice and rock salt. It was long and bad!
Sincerely,
Milk (Eli)
Dear Cow,
Today we were turned into a solid: ice cream. So you know I am in someone's stomach. I was shaken up in an ice cold bagny someone. I heard people calling him Jack. Now I am in hi.. owwwww a piece of sandwich justs hit me. I am in his stomach. Well we were shaken for a long time. I can even see his guts. We were outside for a long time.
Love,
Milk (Jack B.)
Dear Miss Calf,
Today I was shookin up. I went to the bus circle and a second grader put me in a thing! I overheard I was going to be ice cream. It was almost the end of the day so it was hot. I got blub guggle phsh cough, that was vanilla, ph cough cough that was my friend sugar. Then I came to a halt. Then ice!in another thing hummmm ice cream...A solid! I never knew I could be a solid! I guess it took an hour or so. I'm.....turning.....into....a...solid! AHHHHHH
Your friend,
Milk (Josie)

No comments: